Saturday, June 04, 2005

Killing Snakes

The boys spent the night a friend's house last night and as we got going this morning we never thought about the chickens. Melissa has been taking care of the chicks and Stephen has been letting the chickens out. We remembered the chickens around 4 this afternoon. They were still alive. Their coop is shaded, so they should have been alive. Their visitor startled me a little, though. The rat snake was in one of the nesting boxes. The chickens got out of the coop as soon as I opened the door, but the snake just lounged there in the box.

My first thought was that this would be a great time to have the shotgun. Melissa showed up and decided I could kill the snake with a hoe. Duh! The snake wasn't too concerned. It just laid there and let me go get the hoe. The snake is now dead. I don't remember ever killing a snake before, so this may have been a first for me. I am pretty sure it won't be the last snake I kill.

My dad tells how my grandfather would just grab a snake by its tail and crack it like a whip, snapping the snake's head off. I thought about that this afternoon, but decided the hoe would be the best way for me to go with this snake. I've seen pictures of my grandfather and he was a good sized muscular fella with blue eyes. I'm just like him, I have blue eyes.

Roger

No comments: