Thursday, June 16, 2005

No Clarence Needed

Sorry to be gone for a day, but yesterday was a crusher, in a very good way. Yesterday was the party day for me and my family. At noon I had lunch with City employees. All were invited and many came – of course none of the firefighters came. At 5 p.m. we had the community wide celebration and when that was over we were wiped out. It was hot and long and I was on my feet the whole day. So, we swam and relaxed.

I have never trusted, because of my job, that when people told me they liked me that they were being sincere. Flattery is a powerful tool for people that want something. So, it is very seldom that I take a compliment to heart. Crappy way to live, but it was a defense mechanism that served me well many times. Its cost was those times when the flattery was sincere.

Now, I have no power or authority to deliver any kind of favor to anyone looking for something from the City. Still, many people came to the employee party and the evening reception. The Chamber gave me a gift certificate for custom boots. The employees gave me some cash for the farm. The Council gave me a laptop - the laptop from which this particular blog is being written.

Its kind of like “It’s a Wonderful Life” without the snow and no Clarence. Funny how you never have any idea how blessed you really are until it is too late.

No comments: