Sunday, July 03, 2005

Packing and unpacking

I've spent the last week packing, unpacking, and re-packing the boxes to use again. Right now I'm wondering why we don't just throw it all out and do without. Over time we will do that a lot, but for now we just want to get things moved. Then we can decide what we don't have room for later.

We've been without a computer while at the ranch so we haven't updated for a while. A lot has happened and I couldn't possibly cover it all. I'll share some random thoughts and events from the last week. It has been wonderfully uplifting to see God's provision. And yet we have moments of discouragement when things go wrong.

We finally got a plumber to come look at the gas pipes. That was some pretty extensive work that will surely cost a lot. We'll get the bill when we go back this week. On the bright side, we will have new pipes and won't need to worry about them cracking and leaking.

In planning the chicken coop for the laying hens, I really wanted it to be mobile because chickens will eat up everything in an area if they don't move around enough. Roger found wheels on the property that will work out great. The coop is looking like some sort of hot rod now. I think it's great.

The heat was kind of hard to take Friday. It was over 100 degrees and hot hot hot. We ate ice, drank ice water, and did the best we could to keep cool. Just when it seemed I couldn't take it, a breeze would blow by. And then it started to cool off at the end of the day and felt wonderful. We loved our cold baths!

Stargazing is fun, especially with Roger. He's showing me all these constellations I never even knew existed. Ask him and I'm sure he'd love to show you Saturnalius the Constipated. There was one area I thought looked like a sunburst, but he pointed out it was a tick. It had a name, but I don't remember it. I have a feeling that if I asked Roger what it was, it would be different this time because he wouldn't remember either. ;-)

We don't spend too much time stargazing though because we're tired. I've noticed we're naturally falling into a pattern of "early to bed and early to rise" when we're out there. Not so true in Grapevine. Funny how I go right back to my old habit of staying up too late.

The first night out there this week I had spiders crawling on me in the dark while I nursed the baby. I didn't sleep much the rest of the night. But it's been better since then.

The baby swallows are growing up and looking crowded in their nest. We're wondering if they'll still be there when we go back in a few days.

When we pulled back into the driveway in Grapevine, Joy threw a fit because she wanted to go to our farm. She wasn't happy to be here until I explained that we had to pack the rest of our stuff to take it to the farm. I think everyone is getting used to being there. It is starting to feel empty here.

Well, there's more, but I'm exhausted. We'll try to update again soon. But tomorrow's the 4th of July and Tuesday I may not have a computer. We'll see.

Melissa

No comments: