Monday, September 19, 2005

DISH Network - blech!

Melissa was told by DISH Network when we cancelled our service that if we wanted to we could get just the over the air channels for $11 a month. Our antenna is not very good and we decided to take DISH Network up on their offer. I called to have it set up and while doing so told them that we were only signing up for the $11 month service. The lady on the other end of the phone said: “That will be fine.”

The installer showed up to set us up with our two dishes and went to work. The problem is that the second dish is what you need to get the full range of channels and the local channels. You don’t need two dishes for the $11 month local channels offer from DISH Network. I called customer service. Sadly, the service is very poor. Waiting on hold for 20 minutes to get a human is not a high level of service. Once I got the person and explained what was going on the Customer Service Representative for DISH Network told me that I was not allowed to do what I was told and Melissa was told we could do. I asked to speak to a supervisor. After some discussion, he agreed to have us hooked up for the $11 a month local channel option from DISH Network.

The installer was happy because he only gets paid if he installs something, but he also knew he had to call his company, the folks that have installation contract for this area. They told him no way. I was already gone so Melissa had to take care of the rest of the mess. In short, she spent about an hour on the phone with DISH Network and their installer and in the end DISH Network told us that we could not get the service their own service reps had suggested we get. They tout how they are the highest rated satellite TV provider by J. D. Powers and Associates. I hope they call me.

Now we are looking at a great big antenna for the house. Maybe we will go with DirecTV, but we expect them to lie to us throughout the process as well, so we may just stick with the antenna idea.

I am actually in a good mood today. The chicken tractor got finished, so I am happy. I just wanted to complain about DISH Network as I get ready to watch the Cowboys play the Redskins on a fuzzy TV.

Roger

No comments: