Saturday, March 18, 2006

Rainy day Saturdays always make me blog

It is raining! It has been doing this, off and on, since about 8:00 this morning. Melissa is off to the midwife’s to get a check-up and I am here with all the kids. They are in the process of doing their chores and I am doing mine and Melissa’s – okay, actually I am sitting on the bed typing, but have been doing and will return to doing chores. Faith went to a slumber party last night and will not tell me much about what happened other than bowling, a Wal-Mart stop and Taco Bell. She paid to bowl one game and then quit because she did not like bowling. She watched the other girls buy candy at Wal-Mart and gorge on Taco Bell offerings. Since she has to use her own money for these things she is very careful about what she buys. That is yet another bonus for us. I am constantly reminded of Paul in Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

We used to have a lot and now we do not. It was our own choice and we made it freely to change our lives for the better and to leave the intensity of our former life behind. Things like my kids really appreciating the value of a dollar are a giant bonus in all of this. The other is that I am so much more relaxed now. I was telling Melissa how I just don’t care to watch a lot of sports anymore as I get so keyed up on each and every play. The whole game always hangs in the balance. She commented that I have always been that way and only realize it now as I have adopted a more laid back approach to life. At the job I am still all keyed up and so appreciate the farm even more. I try to get all my hours in Tuesday through Thursday, and sometimes I am successful at this. The result is that Tuesdays are worse than any Mondays ever were because they are the first day back after four days off.

Melissa is at the midwife’s this morning because we have chicken processing to do on Monday and a delivery to Grapevine of chickens and eggs on Tuesday. We will also get a couple of orthodontist appointments in and I will go to visit my mother. Every visit could be the last and I have done a crappy job of seeing her in the last year. Dad says he thinks she is approaching the end. He has been holding out hope for a long time and to hear this from him now tells me the end really is near. Yes, we saw The Notebook, thank you for your movie recommendation.

Roger

No comments: