Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Medlin/Ringler

This has nothing to do with life on the farm.

It has everything to do with failing to remember.

June 12 and 13, 2004 was a pair of very bleak days. At 3 a.m. on the morning of June 12th a drunk driver killed Darren Medlin, a Grapevine Police Officer. The driver is now in prison. Darren was survived by his wife and daughters. The next day, as they were leaving a baseball game, Matt Ringler - an off duty Grapevine firefighter - and his son were killed when their car was crushed by an 18 wheeler on the interstate. His widow is now alone.

I have one of those magnet ribbons on my truck. It says "Grapevine Remembers". I forgot. I drove the truck today and saw the ribbon as I was coming out of a meeting in Abilene. I have been gone for a year, almost exactly now, and still the loss of those two is very disturbing to me, yet I forgot the anniversaries over the last two days.

The tragedy of it all is how absolutely pointless it was. There were no heroics to remember as these two men who lived their lives to protect others were just killed. Nothing but death for these two men and a son. I was told that none of the them would have suffered. Probably none of them knew it even happened as their deaths were pretty much instantaneous. Just a pair of wives and daughters left behind.

I have nothing profound or wise to say to mark their passing. I didn't have any such words two years ago either. I'm just sorry it happened and pray for Gina Medlin and Becky Ringler.

To read more about Darren: link

To read more about Matt: link

Roger

No comments: