Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Series of (Un)Fortunate Events

This morning we were going about our usual day. We had breakfast and got the cow milked and all the milking equipment washed, etc. Everyone seemed particularly grouchy and so things were running slowly with me settling fights and such.

I finally got to go get dressed when I heard Grace yell, "Yuck! He's leaking all over our floor!" She was referring to Sam's diaper.

So I quickly assigned "after breakfast chores" giving one of the kids the breakfast dishes so I could go change Sam and clean the carpet. Faith had to do laundry and got the pleasure of having Joy as her helper. I went to change Sam. He had a yucky diaper with a hole in the back of it! How did that happen?

I then went to clean up the mess and found LOTS of spots all over the floor. But they were all dry. That couldn't be it. So I asked where the leakage was at. Grace showed me a spot where he'd been sitting. It turned out he hadn't leaked on the floor, but the floor was so dirty she couldn't tell. Since I had the "spray stuff" and rag with me, I cleaned the spot she showed me, even though it was clearly an old dirt spot. Then I went to throw the rag in the basket in the laundry room. That's when I found her.

Joy was stuck between the wall and the washing machine. She could barely breathe she was stuck so tight. She couldn't even yell for help! As I walked in, I heard her trying to call me, but it was very soft as she had so little air. Apparently she had climbed on top of the washer, then slid down on the side. There wasn't enough room for her in that space, but gravity pulled her down and she was stuck. I pulled her out, then praised God for all that had led me to the room at that moment.

It was frustrating that Sam had a leaky diaper. It was frustrating that I had to clean a mess. It frustrated me when I found there wasn't really a new mess, just a filthy carpet that desperately needs cleaning. But if those things hadn't happened the way they had, with the right timing, who knows what would have happened to Joy!! Sometimes the things that seem bad actually work together for good. It's why I love Romans 8:28. "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

She was extra grumpy today, but I was thankful to have her around!

Melissa

1 comment:

heather said...

Every mother that reads this will have instant cold chills. PRAISE THE LORD for the mishaps that put you in the laundry room.

Aack!

Enjoying your blog, as always.

Blessings!