Friday, September 22, 2006

867-5309

Faith rode her horse for the first time this evening. Abe had the saddle on and a bridle and reins and a bunch of spectators. After Faith rode, Grace, Claire, Clark, Joy and Sam all got a shot at horseback riding. The ride was just around the stanchion, but everyone got to be a cowboy for a couple of minutes. Sam rode with Faith. Joy cried because she was scared. Claire and Grace did fine.

I am pretty much brain dead this evening as I have spent the better part of the day trying to learn Microsoft Access. I don’t have a book, yet, and it is not a simple program. I think I hate it. Anyway, I am trying to get some databases set up as they can be easier to USE than a spreadsheet. They are just harder to WRITE. I used to be able to program and wrote some stuff when I was in Denton. Perhaps the same will happen once I get a few more hours working with Access. I hope, because right now my eyes are kind of spinning as I write this. Also, while I really enjoy using a laptop, when it is actually on top of your lap it makes you sweat. It got up to 98 this afternoon and I did not need the added heat of the laptop, but I got it anyway. Wah, wah, wah. There are probably eight or nine children in China that would love to have a laptop.

Stephen and Mitchell went to a MercyMe and Audio Adrenaline concert last night in Abilene. Stephen was my milking partner this morning and he wasn’t worth a dang. I can’t say I was worth much either as I stayed up well into the early morning hours trying to learn a stinking stupid database program that is smarter than me. Anyway, they were both full of stories about the concert and the drive and the meal and every other observation from the night. I went to concerts when I was in high school. My kids are much better than I was. I did not remember much, if anything, about the concerts I went to. I saw the Stones, The Police, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, Sam and Dave, Z Z Top, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, The Cars, James Taylor, Jimmy Buffett, Fleetwood Mac and some others. Not once during any of those concerts did they stop to witness to the kids in the audience. There were no alter calls. Some folks would tell you that the world is going to pot and today’s youth are the worst group ever. I like the ones I know and am proud for their future.

Roger

6 comments:

universalist said...

Jesus said,"Do not be afraid.I am the First and Last. I am the Living one;I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever!And I hold the keys of death and Hades"
Revelation 1:17c-18.

Betsy said...

I'm glad the boys got to go! I listened to ads for the concert on the radio; it sounded like a good one!

Karen of TX said...

So I'm thinking... why is he publishing their phone number? Without an area code? Whose number is it anyway? Until I actually looked at it and now I have it stuck in my head, thank you very much.

The Nelsons said...

Mission accomplished! Now, think about "we are Flinstone kids, ten million strong and growing"

The Nelsons said...

I was just changing Sam's "fecamint" diaper when he sang "Everybody dance now." So the Flintstone kids are gone and there's a lot of dancing in my ears now.

(Fecamint is Roger's word for the smell when brushing your teeth in a bathroom someone just did a number 2 in. It can also be used when changing a poopy diaper of a child who swallowed his minty gum the day before.)

Melissa

Heather Sanders said...

While my husband was working on his Masters we lived in Abilene for a while. Actually lived in a woman's dorm on the Hardin Simmons campus (dorm parents - 133 daughters to our name). I noticed a lot of great concerts came through there - assuming it is the college town that draws them.

That town was full of fabulous people. Didn't care for the occasional sandstorm or the lack of greenery, but the people were fabulous and the horizon was gorgeous.