Thursday, October 12, 2006

White Water and Wasps

Well, we have run out of Isabella's delicious milk. She is at the end of her pregnancy and we have to let her dry out before the calf is born. That's anywhere between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day depending on I don't know what. But that means we're back to drinking pasteurized, homogenized milk. After all the research I just did on raw milk and its benefits I hated the idea of it, but really thought I'd like the taste just fine. I guess after drinking nothing but the best for nearly a year, I was thoroughly spoiled. The milk from the store leaves a strange aftertaste that I don't remember ever tasting before--except after flossing my teeth. There's just something really wrong-tasting about it. Not bad, but just not right. Some of the kids call it white water.

Have you heard Walmart is carrying "organic" milk now? In their own Great Value brand? I was reading about it the other day and it made me really sad to think they are lying to so many people who just want to be healthy. Okay, they aren't exactly lying, but they aren't telling the whole truth. It may fit the organic label, but it isn't natural! Apparently the cows are milked 3 times a day (2 is much more customary. 3 would be hard on the cow, but I guess they don't really care) and fed organic grain. That would be like a human eating nothing but organic lettuce and thinking they are doing well following an organic diet. Yes, it's organic, but it's not all you need. Cows need grass. Without good fresh grass, they aren't getting all the vitamins they need. Most people understand that a nursing mother needs to eat right in order for the baby to get good healthy milk. Well, the same is true for a cow. She needs a good, healthy diet in order to make good, healthy milk. But you can't do that on such a large scale, sell it for low prices, and still make a profit. So they pile too many cows together and only put them in the pasture when they are not milking--a couple months per year. It reminds me of how back in the 1800's they found a lot of people were dying from the milk. The cows were being fed poor quality food and made poor quality milk. The cows became sick and their immune system was shot. No immunoglobins passed into the milk so the milk was lacking in vitamins and immunoglobins. People got sick and died from the milk. So the people learned to pasteurize it to kill the germs. That was probably a good thing, but a better answer might have been to take better care of the cows. Well, I can't change the world, but I sure am glad we moved here so we can have a cow and get good quality milk most of the time.

Clark's swollen eye

Changing the subject now. We have a lot of wasps or yellow jackets or something. They have wasp-like bodies and they sting. Yesterday, Clark went outside and set his hand on a nest without looking. Of course, the wasps didn't like that. We pray every night for safety from spiders, snakes and scorpions and we've begun to add more and more things to our list--wild dogs, ticks, ants, and wasps. Well, it must be helping. The wasps were mad and were flying all over the place. Clark only got one sting and it was near his eye, not in it. He swears it hardly hurts at all. I gave him some Benadryl (although it took 2 stores to find the dye-free kind) and I don't see much change at all. He's a tough kid though and doesn't seem phased by it. We had to go to the store and he was prepared with an answer if anyone asked what happened to his eye (I was born this way. I'm a goblin.), but no one asked. Several offered advice. I guess lots of people out here have seen it before. Everyone seemed to just know what happened.

Naptime/Quiet time seems to be officially over now. I guess I better go try to settle the fight roaring out there. The thing about being fruitful and multiplying is that the fighting increases exponentially. Thankfully so do the blessings.

Melissa

No comments: