Monday, November 06, 2006

Love, Peace and SOUL!

Dawn asked in yesterday’s comments section about the 867-5309 title for the September 22 post. The number is a part of a song from the early 80’s by a band that I did not name in the post but saw in concert when I was a senior in high school. The song? 867-5309/Jenny. The band? Why, it was Tommy Tutone, of course. If you are interested in catching a bit of the greatness of TT, he has a web page – www.tutone.com. In the music section you will find 867-5309 on the second album “Tommy Tutone 2”. Numbering albums was big then as we were still in the age of Chicago.

As part of our extra special service here at “You’re Doing What?” we offer up the lyrics for 867-5309 so that it can REALLY get stuck in your head –

Jenny, Jenny, who can I turn to?
You give me something I can hold on to.
I know you think I'm like the others before
Who saw your name and number on the wall

Jenny, I got your number,
I need to make you mine.
Jenny, don't change your number,
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)

Jenny, Jenny, you're the girl for me.
You don't know me but you make me so happy.
I tried to call you before but I lost my nerve.
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed.

Jenny, I got your number,
I need to make you mine.
Jenny, don't change your number,
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)

I got it, I got it!
I got your number on the wall!
I got it, I got it!
For a good time, for a good time call....

Jenny, don't change your number.
I need to make you mine.
Jenny. I'll call your number,
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)

Jenny, Jenny who can I turn to? (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
For the price of a dime I can always turn to you.
(8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
5-3-0-9
5-3-0-9
5-3-0-9
5-3-0-9 (//fade out//)

If you go to the web page, check out Angel Say No and Cheap Date off the first album, “Tommy Tutone”. In my opinion, they were better than 867-5309. You see, I was a Tommy Tutone fan before their big hit. I also lay claim to having the first Cars album a full year before they got air time in the Dallas area. The same is true for Rickie Lee Jones – I got the first three albums – “Rickie Lee Jones”, “Pirates” and “Girl at Her Volcano”. The third album was crap and I never bought another album from her. Her big first hit was Chuck E’s in Love, butCoolsville and Weasel and the White Boy’s Cool were the songs to listen to off her first album.

And for those that remember it, the title for today’s post was Don Cornelius’ sign off from SoulTrain.

Roger

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Thank-you for clearing that up for me. Also I apologize to anyone who actually knows that song and now has it stuck in their head. My husband frequently wonders how I managed to get to the age that I am and not hear any music LOL. It's not that I didn't, it's just that well... I guess I didn't! LOL, somehow I missed all the music of the 80's... (still not sure if I'm missing out or not!) but thanks for clearing up the joke that was over my head!

The Nelsons said...

Don't worry, Dawn. I knew that song, but the rest of this post was beyond me!

Melissa