Saturday, February 24, 2007

Dust storm



Today I can't help but feel grateful to have NOT lived through the dust storms of the 1930's.The kids and I read about it and I think my favorite book was Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse. The image of having to set the table with the dishes upside down, then hurry and eat before the dust covered their food has really stuck in my mind. They joked that they were drinking chocolate milk just to deal with the fact that they couldn't keep the dirt from blowing into their milk. Today is a dust storm day. The sun is shining, but you can't tell because the air is filled with dirt.

The first picture on the right is the sun. This was taken from our backyard. There are no clouds in the way, just dirt that's blowing in the air. The next two pictures are just to try to let you see the color of the sky today. It didn't look like this when we got up. It was a beautiful day, although windy. These photos are not retouched with the sepia tone added. It's just the air is reddish-brown dirt colored today. Yuck. But I am so thankful that this is supposed to be over today. According to weather reports, the sky will turn blue again soon.


And then here are some photos of our new house progress. These were taken yesterday. The first is a picture taken of the new house from the front yard. The second is a picture of the digging equipment being loaded to return to Home Depot. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much more about it than that. Roger could. But as far as I can tell, so far he's done a lot of digging. Mitchell, Faith and Grace helped him yesterday. I was amazed at the lack of complaining. I guess they can't wait to get out of this house either.

Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lThanks for keeping us up to date on the new house and your life. I look forward to reading what is happening in your family!
Ann