Sunday, March 11, 2007

Stem wall


Here's a picture of our house. I had to stand way back in our future front yard to get it all in. They've got 3 sides of the stem wall in, but ran out of dirt for mixing mortar. When they get more dirt, they'll do the last side. This will be the frame for pouring the foundation.

I can't tell you how exciting it was to walk out there and see something showing before I got all the way there.

Our current house has a lot of problems. Here's an example. Yesterday morning I was sitting in bed with my head against the wall nursing Gloria. Roger walked out the front door to go milk the cow. You have to practically slam the door to get it to shut and when he did so, the house shook to the point that my head bounced away from the wall and back again. Now, this wall is several walls away from the wall the door is on. I don't get how the house could be so bad and still stand, but thankfully it is still standing. It scares me when the kids jump in the house (and they're active kids and there are a lot of them) because the refrigerator will shake like it's gonna fall. I'm just praying that God will keep this house standing as long as we need it.

Sorry we're not keeping the blog very current. We're pretty busy these days. There's the house we're building, the house we're living in, new chicks, cows, etc. Then this is the time of year that I prepare the writing books for our next school year. That means I plan copywork and compositions and reports and such for the entire school year, type them, print them, and bind them. It's no small task. I should just need to print them and bind them now, but I had that computer crash last spring before I ever backed anything up. Grrr.

In addition to all that, I've been dealing with our oldest, Stephen, thinking he's growing up or something. Silly boy wants to be an adult and get on with his life. Hmmph. Don't I have any say in that? He's preparing to join the military and they are giving me a little trouble over a lack of accreditation in his schooling. Nevermind the fact that he's taken a practice ASVAB test and done VERY well. They know he's brilliant, but need paperwork proving his school is accredited. Well, it's not and there's no way to change that. Fortunately, they just THINK they need that. A search of hslda.org helped me find that they don't. The transcript I gave them should do just fine, thank you.

I'm home from church with little ones with little colds. Thankfully it is no big deal. Claire was supposed to get baptized today (she accepted Christ as her Lord on my birthday, isn't that cool?) but she's one of the kids with a cold. So hopefully next week.

Melissa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great birthday present for you!!! Thanks for the house update, I look forward to seeing the progress of it through your blog. I'll be praying for you and Stephen....

Ann G