Thursday, April 26, 2007

Stephen and the Mice

We've had some trouble with mice lately. It's that time of year where it's warming up and I'd expect them to be moving OUT, but no, they're here. The ones in my closet were particularly baffling. I understood the kitchen, but the closet? I couldn't understand why they were there, but they were leaving droppings all over my clothes!

Yesterday morning Stephen saw one in the bathroom. He got his airsoft gun and shot it. Killed it. Hmm. Maybe those guns aren't just totally useless and stupid, huh?

Then last night we let him stay up and watch a couple episodes of Lost with us. (We've been renting them from Netflix. I can't believe we waited so long to give this show a try!! I love it!) After it was over he walked into the kitchen and found a mouse cornered on a shelf behind a couple of bottles of ketchup (it was on sale so we stocked up). He told me to go get the airsoft gun I'd taken away from him (for shooting it in the house) and put in my closet. Oops. I moved it and couldn't remember where. But as I was searching I figured out why the mice were in my closet.

Turns out I'd hidden candy in there and forgotten about it. With nine kids and Roger around, I had to hide it. What surprises me though is that *I* forgot it because some of it was peanut butter candy. I love just about anything with peanut butter and I have one of the worst sweet tooths ever. But since it was left alone the mice decided it was for them. And they feasted!

I never did find his gun. But Roger found the one Stephen snuck and bought to replace it. Stephen aimed and shot between what looked to me to be a half inch space between two bottles. He hit it right in the head! I was impressed!! He admitted later that the opening was about an inch wide, but still! He then shot 3 more times to try to put it out of its misery since it was twitching. He hit that mouse every time.

Just think what he could have done with a better gun and a deer. Claire has decided that M.P. stands for Mouse Police.

Maybe this was really a simple feat, I don't know. But I was impressed and proud and no one should tell this momma otherwise.

Melissa

No comments: