Friday, April 20, 2007

Travels

There hasn't been any news for some time from either of us because we've been busy. Busy with things like the farm, the house and getting Stephen in the Army. I will hit on the last one today. We have pictures of the house to share, but Melissa is not here to do the almost technical stuff, so we'll have another post later.

Melissa took Stephen to Abilene last Thursday to get on a shuttle that took him to Dallas to take the test that would get him in the Army. All went well on Thursday as he got to Dallas and took the ASVAB (which stands for: A Something Very Army B). Anyway, if you score 50 you pretty much have the world at your feet as far as getting a job in the Army is concerned. The only catch being if the job you want is available. Stephen scored a 77. Very good stuff.

On Friday I drove to Dallas because when a kid under 18 is signing up for the Army the parents can be there when he is signing up for his job. I got there at 10 a.m. I caught a glimpse of Stephen at 11:30 a.m. At 2:00 p.m. I saw him again and he told me he had been to the doctor to have his ears cleaned out, which is where he was headed at 11:30. At 3:30 p.m. we were called by the guys in the Army office. Seems that since Stephen is home schooled he has to take the AIM test (Another Indian's Mohawk). The AIM is not given on Fridays, but we can come back on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and he can take it then. After that, he'll get his job. The job, by the way, is called an MOS (Military Operation Spartacus).

Stephen goes to the hotel they have set up for the recruits and I went to my Dad's for the evening. It was a fun evening and all, but it was still being stuck in Dallas. Stephen got up bright and early - 3 a.m. - so he can get back to the MEP (Military Entrance Pantry) Station for his 1 o'clock test. I went and got waffles. At 1 o'clock Stephen takes his test. His score? Well, the score on the AIM test doesn't matter. It is just a test that home schooled kids and those with GEDs have to take to get into the military.


At 2:30 we get in to see the Counselor. "Bad news," he says. "Your AIM scores can't be put into the system (in Dallas) because the MEP computers in Fort Knox are not talking to the MRCCJKLWOP computers in Indiana (these aren't really the letters, I do know there were a lot of them and there was at least one M and an R. I hope this doesn't ruin the story for you). Can you come back Monday?"

They knew Stephen's score. They had a copy of the results. However, the computers from one side of the place in Dallas went to Indiana and the other side had its information come from Kentucky. So, we came home. At one point I thought about getting all agitated and throwing a fit. This urge lasted about a split second as the people I would have been yelling at are all Army guys in great physical shape and trained to kill. Stephen and I went home.

On Tuesday we went back to Dallas. Stephen is now set to report to basic training on October 17th at Fort Leonard Wood. He will be there 20 weeks and six days and when he is done he will be an MP (Member of Parliament). We are very proud of him.

Roger

4 comments:

Tory said...

9 Kids???? Wow, u must be super-parents!!! Good luck to ur son going in the army. U can check out my blog at www.ioftenwonderwoman.blogspot.com

Karen of TX said...

My sincere thanks for explaining the acronyms. Melissa explained them to me, but yours make much more sense.

Our prayers will be with Stephen and all of you as you make this transition. I'm still in denial that they're this old, but I notice it doesn't stop them.

Anonymous said...

Our kids are really growing up, aren't they? kinda scary and kinda exciting at the same time. Our prayers will be with your family as you go through this next adventure with Stephen.

Anonymous said...

sorry i forgot to sign my comment,.....
Ann