Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Some Stuff

Clarification/Education - my children and wife informed me yesterday that my haiku was too long. A haiku, according to them is only three lines and 17 syllables long. While they are correct about the standard haiku in use in the English speaking world, there is a haiku forerunner, the renga, which is much longer. The haiku goes 5-7-5 syllables in a verse. There are also 5-7-5-7-7 haikus that are considered short rengas. Long rengas are 5-7-5-7-7 verses that are followed by more lines of poetry that use the same kind of syllable structures (5-7-5, 7-7, 5-7-5-7-7). You see, I was so bored I not wrote a haiku, I actually researched them. Of all the haikus I read, and I read more than I ever want to read again, my favorite was:

haikus are easy
but sometimes they don't make sense
refrigerator

While I am mostly over the stomach flu, I am still a bit too unstable and weak to do much. I am getting stronger and will be back to work tomorrow (maybe). I thought I'd be back at work already, but instead I am blogging and catching up on poor, pitiful Paris Hilton. I've signed several "jail Paris" petitions.

Our house has a septic tank, but it is too small for a house of 11 people and the leach lines were put in too shallow, so they are full of roots. A couple of times a week I have to pump out the tank. There is a patch of field that is very lush as a result of this activity. Anyway, I had to pump last night. I had popped the lid and was just starting the process when Seven decided to go and explore the hole. Thankfully, the scum was at the top and she could get out by herself. Had she fallen in 20 minutes later, when no one was watching, she would have been entombed in the septic tank. I gotta figure something out for when I am pumping to keep us from a tragedy. At the same time, when your two cats are named Red and Seven and you lose one, you don't have a mismatched pair like you would have if you'd named them as a set, like Cuff and Link, Skin and Bones or Laurel and Hardy.


Nauseously Yours,
Roger

No comments: