Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day 2

The house is coming along. The rooms are all framed in with only the half wall for the breakfast bar needing to get framed. I went to Home Depot last night to get that wood and to buy the concrete stain. On my way home I called Melissa and she let me know it had not been raining. I called while the kids’ feet were being photographed, so I did not get her full attention. Turns out it had been raining. I was worried about leaving the wood out as it was lightening all around and wet wood doesn’t cut or nail all that well and I thought I’d get the bar done today. Well, the wood got unloaded at the house site and the truck got stuck in the mud. You take the good with the bad. I walked home through the very wet and muddy field at about 11 p.m. Late this afternoon the ground had dried enough and the truck is now in the driveway. The wood is dry and undisturbed in the house.

Since it was Father’s Day I did a bunch of nothing. Napping and eating. In addition to the feet pictures I was given a “World’s Greatest Dad!” snow globe, some homemade ice cream, chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate chips (my favorites), a box of Cap’n Crunch and two cards. It was quite the bounty and there are no neck ties in site.

Mitchell and Stephen left for church camp this morning and will not be back until Friday. Mitchell has been my co-worker on the house and the progress would not be as far along without his help. He will be missed this week, but he won’t miss much as cleaning out the house and getting it ready for staining the concrete is the main work ahead of us for now. If we could count on the weather the trenching or stuccoing would be the next steps, but the 3.5’ of rain over the last four days makes both of those tasks a little dicey to plan right now.

Roger

No comments: