Tuesday, July 24, 2007

T-shirt Quilt

Back when Stephen and Mitchell were little guys, they both needed a blankie to go to sleep. I knew they would one day outgrow it and always figured I'd have to find some way to preserve their blankies in a quilt. That was my original inspiration. Somewhere along the line I must have heard something about t-shirt quilts because it's such a huge thing I can't believe I never heard of it. Then again, I tend to be very unaware of my surroundings and what is going on in the world that isn't part of my own little world. (Anyone ever try to wave at me when I drive by? I just didn't see you. I'm too busy looking at the other cars, not the drivers.) But anyway, over time I started to think some of their shirts and jeans would be good additions to their blankie quilts. I had these blankies as central parts of the quilts in my mind.

So when we realized Stephen could graduate early and I only had a few months left before he not only graduates, but LEAVES for boot camp, I decided I'd better get going. So in my "spare time" (meaning time that I just absolutely have to do something creative or I'll go nuts if I wash another dish or change another diaper) I've been working on this quilt. I've only got the top done, but that was a feat in itself. I wanted to shout it from the mountain tops, but out here in west Texas there are not many mountain tops (thankfully, they might block our beautiful sunsets) to choose from. There's the Santa Anna Mountain, but I'm not sure that really counts as a mountain. So the blog will have to do. (of course, then I log on to post this and have a note saying I have to wait two days while someone checks to see if our blog is a spam blog. Oh well.)

So here's a picture of the quilt top. I've used his old t-shirts and hockey jerseys, his blankie is the square second from the top on the left. It's totally faded and just looks white, but that square is all I could salvage from the whole blankie. It was very worn out. I also used his old jeans. Then I bought the camouflage fabric for the border. You know, hand-me-downs are a part of life in a large family. But when it comes to choosing things for a t-shirt quilt like this, some of the old favorites are gone because younger siblings wore them. But those hockey jerseys were prized possessions so they were kept in tip-top shape. Well, most of them anyway. And because I keep getting asked, I'll tell you. The four corners are solid blue because for a LONG time, the only shirts Stephen would wear were his solid blue t-shirts. He had many of them because it made no sense to buy him anything else. Kind of like jeans and slacks. No one wears slacks around here so they don't even own them anymore.

t-shirt quilt

Melissa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a great idea for all those hockey jerseys just taking up closet and garage space! I think I will see if my mil can make a quilt like this for Paul. Your quilt is great!
Ann G

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is really grand. I hope your son realizes how special he is that you made this for him before he is 30 year old!

Karen of TX said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen of TX said...

Sean has a t-shirt quilt and a hockey shirt throw that my sil's aunt made for him. He loves it! It's nice to be a cool mom occasionally, isn't it? (Last post had a typo and you know how I am.)

The McCarty Family said...

Mis, this is awesome. I'm inspired to start saving some of Zoey's stuff now. Then I'll have to hire you to make the actual quilt! But that's still 17.5 years away...