Friday, August 03, 2007

My Handyman is Handy

If you've been reading our blog, you know I'm making a quilt. I had finished quilting 2 out of 24 squares when the wing nut on my quilt hoop disappeared. I believe it was Gloria. There was evidence of her mischief all around the room. For those of you who don't quilt or embroider, I'll explain as best I can (which isn't good). You want the quilt to fit in this hoop so all the pieces get held together tightly and not fall out. There are two pieces of hoop, one underneath and one on top. The quilt gets held in place between these two hoops. The piece on top has a bolt that runs through two sides of the hoop and gets held in place by a wing nut. This way you can tighten it or loosen it as needed. Without the wing nut, the whole thing is useless.

We have a small store called Alco in town. I went and looked and they didn't have anything useful for this project. Quilt hoops are quite a bit larger than most embroidery hoops and they only had the teeny tiny ones. The nearest Walmart is a half hour drive and the nearest craft store is an hour. So until we needed to go to one of those places, my work was on hold. So I wandered to the internet to see what I could find. Of course, this wasn't in the budget, but I found a couple of things that intrigued me. One was at Joanns.com and the other was at ebay. They were the same price once you included shipping. But the one at ebay looked like maybe Roger could make it for me for less. So I asked him. He said sure he could do that for less. There was nothing more I could do for now, so I took a nap.

When I woke up, and it wasn't long, trust me. Thirty minutes at the most and that includes the time I spent tickling the little people that woke me up. I turned around and there's this big frame sitting by my bed. Roger had found stuff just laying around and built this for me while I napped! It didn't cost a thing. To top it off, he also went to Coopers, a store in town where he goes to buy everything he ever needs almost, and got me not just one, but two new wingnuts for my quilt hoop!

Not only was it way less than the cost of the stuff on the internet, but there was NO shipping time. What a great deal! What a great husband!

quilt on frame
Shown above is the quilt on the frame. Nothing fancy, but it works great!

Melissa

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This is ingenious! I bet it would work (with smaller clamps) for cross-stitching, too! (Oh, my husband is going to be sorry I checked your blog today! LOL)

Amanda in RI