Friday, September 28, 2007

Over Hill Over Dale . . .

Well we finally know where our son is going. That just seemed so weird to me to be sending him off to who knows where. After all these years of keeping tabs on where he is going and who he is going with and when he will be back, etc., we sent him off to who knows where to be with who knows who and no specifics on when he might be back.

He called from MEPS today after swearing in. He was about to leave for the airport. It was a relief to know where he's going, but we still have the rest of the questions unanswered.

I keep feeling like crying, but I just don't have time. I have all these other children to tend to and things to do. I feel like Scarlet O'Hara. "I can't think about that now. . ." So I try to fill my mind with other things or remember things that will be better now. We can eat rice again (Stephen was allergic). We can get the kids to bed and then have a little time to ourselves without staying up until midnight (Stephen had the latest bedtime). I have one less student to deal with.

I've been sitting with the kids doing school this morning and as I check their work, I check it off in my lesson planner. Today was the day Stephen was originally supposed to complete his schoolwork. He got everything done early so there are all these things in there checking off his work. I keep getting a lump in my throat and repeat, "I can't think about that now."

Clark started talking about how he's really going to miss Stephen. I said, "yeah, but he has to go off and seek his fortune like the first little pig." We then had a kind of neat conversation as Clark was making comparisons between Stephen leaving and the story of the Three Little Pigs. We talked about how we hope he won't build his "house" out of straw, but out of bricks and that those bricks should be the Rock--Jesus Christ. Not bad for a 7 1/2 year old to figure that out, huh? Meanwhile, Grace was writing a letter to Stephen. We don't know where to mail it yet, but she'll be ready. That's Gracie--always trying to get her work done early.

So we're sad here today, but still happy. We are excited for Stephen because we know this is a good thing for him. I would never really want any of my children to stay at home forever. I just never realized how hard it must have been for the Mama Pig to let her little pigs go off to seek their fortune.

If you'd like to pray for Stephen, we have a specific prayer request for now. He has to get immunizations within the first few days of Basic. He reacted to them as a little guy. His immune system is much stronger now, but I still worry about him. And he is nervous about them just because he hates needles. We'd appreciate prayer this week that he stay strong and healthy in spite of all the junk they are about to inject into him.

Melissa

2 comments:

Christina said...

Stephen will absolutely be included in our prayers!

by the way.. found you through a friend of a friend...

My son left home last year. I keep a prayer for a hedge of protection around him daily.. and I will include Stephen in that prayer as well.

Christina

Ann said...

Our prayers will be not only for Stephen but for you and the rest of the family as well. I was so disappointed that we couldn't come out for the graduation/send off but it sounds like you had a great turnout and a lot of good times!
Keep us posted on what you can.