Saturday, October 27, 2007

A Lesson in Tires

Thursday morning Roger woke up and seemed almost panicked. He said he was going to follow us to Brownwood, where the kids and I were about to go for a Homeschool Co-op we attend, and take the van in to get the tires changed. I didn't understand the sudden urgency and argued that I thought it could wait until the next day and I would take it in and save him the hassle. I thought I was being a good wife. But it seems that God must have put that urgency in his mind and I should have been a submissive wife and just said okay.

He wanted to be sure, if we were going to wait until Friday, that I knew what to do if I had a blowout and about the rattle that might happen before it. It was all new to me, so I did listen to him on that one.

We were almost to Brownwood, which is about a 30 minute drive, when I noticed the van was starting to shake funny. It did seem to be coming from the front left tire, but I thought I might be just paranoid because he'd just told me to watch for that. I slowed down though, like Roger said, and went the rest of the way to where our co-op meets which was less than 5 more minutes. Keep in mind, other than Roger waking up with this in his head, we had no reason to think they were that bad. We knew they were getting bad, but no where near that bad.

When we got there, I got out and looked at the tire. There was a section showing right on top where it was totally bald and little wires were showing! I'd never seen such a bald tire before!

We went straight to get our tires changed as soon as the co-op was over. It messed up my plans for the rest of the day--which included a prenatal appointment. I always look forward to those little "glimpses" of our baby when we hear his/her heartbeat. Of course, that wouldn't have happened if I'd listened to Roger and let him follow us and take the van in to get the tires changed. One of the guys working there glanced down at our tire and said, "You're about to have a blowout." And the bald spot wasn't even showing. Of course, that guy knows tires way better than I do.

To top it all off, since Roger didn't spend the day getting new tires on the van, he spent the day working on the hole where our new septic tank will go. He measured the already dug hole and thought it was a foot and a half too deep, so he filled it with a couple of big huge rocks and lots of dirt. Then he re-measured and discovered he messed up earlier and didn't need to fill it in at all. So he spent the rest of the day, and much of Friday along with Mitchell, Faith, and Grace, getting the big huge rocks and dirt back out. I can't help but wonder if he would have made that mistake later in the day.

So I got to learn a lot from our tires that day. I learned what to do if we have a blowout (steer into it) and to pay attention to the shaking and slow down. I even learned that if there's steel wires sticking out of your tires don't touch them or they will cut your finger. Probably the biggest lesson I learned is that God speaks to my husband even when Roger doesn't know it and I should listen when he is trying to protect me.

Melissa

No comments: