Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The day started off as usual with preparations to go milk the cow. Faith put on her coat and then watched a scorpion come crawling out from where she'd just picked up her coat. I guess the "little" thing got cold outside and came in for warmth. Clark got to be a man and protect his sister by killing it. He then proudly showed his trophy to everyone.

We then went off to our homeschool co-op and ran errands and all was well. We had a prenatal appointment with our midwife, Betsy, and all is well with Baby. No unfortunate events there--even with our student driver doing all the driving. (I can't believe Mitchell will be 16 in just a few days!)

We got home and I was exhausted and looking forward to spending the evening at home. Then I got a call from a friend reminding me of a meeting tonight for Smoothing the Way--a class to prepare new homeschoolers on the "how to's" of homeschooling. I left the house grumbling to myself about how I wish I didn't have to do this because I just didn't feel like going tonight. Roger wasn't home and I didn't feel right leaving the kids alone yet in the new house. Basically just grumbling about whatever because I was tired and sore. (My midwife and I are thinking the pains in my abdomen are gallstones. Not fun.) I passed the neighbors house and was surprised to see our cow walking down the road! My complaining instantly turned to thanks to God that I had to go out. Who knows what could have happened if I hadn't been out and seen her! This was Isabella, our milk cow. She's like part of the family and we would NOT want to lose her. I called my friend to tell her I would be late and then turned around to get the kids.

We dropped Mitchell off with the cow, then went to get her harness and lead. Grace discovered a gate had been left open. No one has admitted to that, but at least it wasn't a fence that needs mending. When we went back to Mitchell and the cow, she wouldn't let him harness her. Cows are afraid of the dark anyway, so she was extra skittish. I sat and silently prayed that Mitchell would be able to get her, but instead she started running down the road. So I began to pray out loud that God would send an angel or something and just lead her right into the gate. She kept running down the road and Grace ran ahead and opened the gate. I realized she could easily just run right past it so I prayed (out loud again) that God would lead her to turn and go in the gate. She got to it, turned, and went straight in! I couldn't believe how easy it was!

Now, she is in our pasture, but not the right one. She's back with the other cows including her calf. Taffy isn't much of a calf anymore, she's about as big as her mom. But that won't stop her from nursing all night. We'll probably have to separate them in the morning rather than milking her, but we still have her.

So we went and explained that I wouldn't be staying at my meeting and headed home to rest. But it wasn't time to rest yet. We're thinking that satan didn't like that we were all praising God so much so we got to "enjoy" another test. We were just about ready to "talk about our day" (which is part of our bedtime routine) when we heard this loud splash of water. Remember, our house is quite unfinished. The dishwasher is connected and was running, but the wall behind it which is the bar that separates the kitchen from the living and dining rooms is not yet built. The kids seem to enjoy climbing up there. I think they must have loosened a connection or something and the pipe coming into the house that goes to the dishwasher suddenly separated where it was connected and water was pouring in. Thankfully Mitchell knew how to fix it, but meanwhile we ended up with a huge mess all over the kitchen and the dining room. I found myself wishing we'd actually put those drains in the floor, but we didn't. After soaking every towel in the house and wringing them out and soaking them again and again, I suddenly remembered the wet/dry vac. Duh. It was cleaned up minutes later.

Why do all these things happen when Roger is not home? I'll tell you what. I've sure been appreciating the sacrifice that military wives make! It really hit me today that while my husband is gone for a while, I miss him terribly. But he's never been gone for more than a week or so at a time. I can't imagine the 18 month stretches that military wives face. I woke up feeling lonely and feeling for them, but now after seeing that they must face all these struggles alone, too, I appreciate it even more.

God bless you ladies. Know that my prayers are with you tonight.

Melissa

3 comments:

Maureen said...

Wow Melissa, I can't believe I found you! How exciting that you guys are throwing in the towel to the conventional rat race! I miss the days of playdates and taboo games with the Nelsons! We have a blog now too! You can find us at georgiafamilysite.blogspot.com. Your kids are getting so big...at least the ones I have met :) I see Stephen graduated basic training. Where is he stationed now? I would love to chat with you some time. Email me your tel# so I can give you a buzz. You should be receiving a belated holiday greeting in a few days. I found your address when I did a google seach. What would we do without the internet?

Anonymous said...

Something always happens when Mike is out of town. Something breaks, one of the children gets sick or an animal dies. I don't know why something bad happens when husbands are away! Hang in there! Kat

Faith said...

Clark was NOT 'protecting' me. I COULD have killed it. I just didn't WANT to kill it. I just don't want a dead scorpion on my shoes. Clark didn't mind having it there at all. And I thought he would enjoy putting it in someone's face--which he did.