Friday, February 01, 2008

White Rock Marathon - and I don't mean listening to hours and hours of Lynyrd Skynyrd

I am not sure when was the last time I blogged, but I did notice that Melissa has not blogged in over a week and I would like to apologize for her lack of blogging. It is shameful and we will be talking about it later, after the movie.

Over the last few weeks I have been splitting time between Coleman and Dallas. My quest to qualify for retirement, a trail full of peril and betrayal, is nearing its end. I have not blogged about it because I have been so apprehensive about the whole process. When it is all said and done and I have received my first check I will tell all. Until then I will tell some. Since mid-January I have been the Mail Boy (Mail Person if you want to be PC) for University Park. For two weeks I was full time and this week I worked Thursday and Friday. I have a couple of days to work next week and then the following week I will serve on an interview panel for UP's Fire Chief hiring process.

The City Manager of UP, Bob Livingston, really likes the thought of introducing me as a member of the panel and as the former Mail Boy to the candidates. I also enjoy the thought of asking these guys questions such as: Does a return receipt requested letter have to be sent as certified mail or can it be sent uncertified? What is first class postage on a flat weighing between two and three ounces?

I have been lucky to have a free place to stay while in Dallas. It is called the sofa in my Dad's TV room. I am about two inches too tall to stretch out on the sofa. (I used two, to and too all in one sentence and it all made sense, much excitement here in word geek land) Worse than that is the food. It is all good food and good desserts and I am about 15 pounds heavier than when I started my time at UP. So, I am going to diet now. In fact, I have a new blogging trail to follow. I am going to bore you all with my training to run a marathon. My plan is to run the White Rock Marathon this coming December. So, follow along for the next two weeks while I research and plan out my training program and decide that running a marathon is a lot of work and quit, or decide to keep on training until a snake bites me while I run on the roads around here or keep at it and make everyone uncomfortable as I share details about chaffing. I think my odds of really making it to the finish line in Dallas in December are about 1 in 50. My sister is almost 50. Love you Ronda and I will call you soon. I got to leave work early and was home in Coleman before 5 your time.

I weighed myself just now. 191 pounds. I have the svelte look of Jack Black.


Roger

2 comments:

Kat said...

You know you wouldn't have to diet.

Roger, when you are a man sometimes you wear stretchy pants. LOL!
Kat

Kim said...

I love the to, too, two in one sentence -- genius or maybe I'm just a geek too!