Monday, July 07, 2008

Out Of Bed Monster

There are things about parenting that can be really difficult. Like not laughing at your child who just did something bad.

Last night Sam, who will be 4 in a few days, kept getting out of bed. He does this often. He'll have questions that just can't wait until morning.

He got up and told me he was hungry. I reminded him that he chose not to eat dinner so he had to wait until breakfast, then sent him back to bed.

He got up to ask me, "How do people make cookies?" I told him we'll make some sometime and he can see, then sent him back to bed.

He got up again to say, "There's nothing to drink in my room." I turned to look at him and saw crumbs all over his face. They aren't supposed to take food in their bedrooms, but Stephen had some snacks in his room the other day. I asked Sam if he'd gone in Stephen's room and taken some crackers. He looked me in the eye and said no. So I rephrased the question and asked if he'd found food in Stephen's room and ate it. Again he said no. Sure that he was lying, I told him I could see crumbs on his face and he needed to tell me what he had eaten.

"Well, Mom, I don't really want to tell you."

"Well, Sam, you really have to tell me."

Clark had a little baggie of cookies from Sunday School that he got for memorizing a Bible verse. Amazingly, he hadn't eaten them yet. Sam said, "Well, I didn't want the Out of Bed Monster to eat Clark's cookies so . . ."

It turns out Sam needed some milk to go with those cookies.

This was one of those times I had to make Roger take over because I couldn't stop laughing!

Melissa

4 comments:

JM said...

That is hilarious! I can't wait until Zoey can talk. I know the bedtime thing is a pain (it already is with Zoey) but at least we'll get some humor out of it!

Ann said...

Sometimes it is just too hard to not laugh at their view of the world and the things they come up with!

Grammy said...

I laughed so hard I almost cried! Just when I thought Sam couldn't get any cuter...

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahahaha