Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Leland Delos Nelson, 1925-2008

Last February I shared how one afternoon I picked up the phone and there was my birth mother. A new mom I had given up ever hearing from or meeting was on the other end of the line. I am so grateful to have been given the chance to begin to get to know her. Last Monday I picked up the phone and found out I no longer had a living dad. I am sill having a hard time with this. We all knew my adopted mom was in bad shape toward the end as Alzheimer's is hard to hide. Her death was a blessing for her. Dad's death was a shock for all and a blessing for no one.

What appears to have happened is that he was watching TV on Thursday, October 30th and eating breakfast. The heart blockage he'd had repaired five years ago came back and took him. Since he was planning to go to Branson and meet up with his brother, Meyer, his friends at the Edgemere just figured they weren't seeing him around because he was gone on vacation. Obviously, Dad did not show up in Branson on Sunday. On Monday my uncle called Edgemere and they did a well being check. There, on floor in the den, was Dad.

He was my father and he was my oldest friend. He never took himself too seriously and he taught me about the things that he thought were important. He shaped me into the man I am today and I can only repay him by honoring and remembering him. In the next few days I will try to share some happy memories and give everyone some feel for what he was like to be around.

Over the past few years we ended all of our conversations by telling each other other we loved each other. I do not have to go forward in my life wondering how he felt about me or if he knew how I felt about him and for that I am grateful.

I just wish could call him and hear his laugh one more time. That laugh is the one thing I will miss the most. It was unique to him, an audible fingerprint. A sign that all was well.

Roger

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have known him, but I will know him through you and I am sure he would approve of the picture you paint.
I hurt for you and pray for you.
Love, Katie

Closer to 40 everyday !!! said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Your family is in our prayers.

Christina said...

I am so sorry. Gentle hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Country Lady said...

Praying for comfort and peace for your heart.

Anonymous said...

Roger, I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Roger,We are so sorry for the loss of your dad.Please know that we are praying for you all.God Bless, Earon and Kim

Laura said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss. We will be praying for you all.
Laura

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read about your Dad. I know you and your family are hurting right now. I lost my Mom to cancer three weeks ago. I understand what you are going through. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Displayhawk said...

Roger,

Your Dad did indeed have a distinctive laugh as well as a distinctive voice. I still can't believe he has left this earth, but he will still be watching over you! ....and hopefully he can bring some heavenly help to his Jayhawks!
The eulogies at his funeral captured him perfectly, and he will definitely be missed by many!

Anonymous said...

You have got to go and check this place out! Branson resort is a really cool place to go and visit.

Anonymous said...

Need to find a vacation spot? Check this out for a Branson vacation!