Thursday, November 13, 2008

Linguist D. Nelson

Dad had a way with language. He would alter the meaning of words in ways that were suited to his needs or just make up new ones. Ronda and I shot several back and forth with each other last week and I shared some of these at the funeral. Some I forgot about until it was too late for the eulogy. It is hard to remember words you use all the time as something special and I still use all of these. My kids know these words and as well as others that we have made up and made a part of our daily lives. It is just a part of being in Leland's family.

urine - belonging to another person - "Is that jacket urine?"
mayan - belonging to oneself - "That jacket is mayan."
Holy Land - Kansas - specifically Lawrence
red eye - state of preparedness - "Are you red eye to go?"
The Golden Rule - the driver controls the radio, period, no discussion.
shiite - an exclamation - Dad loved the hostage crisis at the end of the Carter administration. Every night as Ted Koppel would recap the events of the day he would invariably mention Shiites and Dad would grin. He was a precursor of Beavis and Butthead.
good groceries - a declaration that a meal was good, typically said as one pushed away from the table "Those were good groceries!" When we were first married Melissa wasn't sure what this meant and it took a while for her to get used to it.
powodin - an undetermined body part that could be fallen on and/or broken - "It was slick and I almost fell and broke my powodin." Funny, but blogger's spell check is not underlining this word.
caddywampus - askew - "I tried to put it back together, but it was all caddywampus so I just threw it away." Hmm, another word not underlined by spell check.
rectum - a statement of acknowledgment - "I rectum that leg is broken." - "I rectum so."- when I was about 10 or 12 I learned that rectum has an alternate meaning associated with a body part and this has been my favorite Dad word ever since.

There are others out there, I just can't remember them all.

Roger

1 comment:

Karen of TX said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Great memories like this will be so precious to you.

He has a similar vocabulary to my dad, though. Wouldn't be east Texas, would it?

Our prayers are with you!