Friday, March 13, 2009

Covering Up

This title seemed to fit several things on my mind this evening.

I just finished tucking Ezra in. It's 11:00 pm. We didn't have much of a schedule before, but after Daylight Savings we have none. Anyway, he happily laid down in his bed and let me cover him up with his blanket. It's cold enough now that we have to all stay as covered as possible.

And even though I knew the cold was coming, I didn't cover up my new garden. It's planted in a chicken tractor so I could have just covered it up with some clear plastic tarp and had a little greenhouse. But the rain is good for the plants so I took my chances. As far as I know we never got a full freeze, but close--33 or 34 I believe. Not being much of a gardener, I have no idea if that will be a problem or not. But we'll see. Then again, if nothing grows, I won't really know WHAT I did wrong, will I?

It's cold today, but we had temps in the 80's and 90's last week. It got us started talking about summer clothes and swimsuits. I realized that we have very few hand me downs for Gloria for this season and size. Claire has 2 older sisters with very different taste so she usually gets 2 full wardrobes handed down to her. There's usually enough stuff left over after she outgrows it that we can scrounge together a few decent things for Joy. Claire is full of life and the clothes show it. But after Joy, there's pretty much nothing left. So we took little Gloria shopping the other day. First thing I realized is that little girls are supposed to dress in skimpy clothes nowadays. The shorts are all too short and the only other option we could find was mini skirts. Sure, they have shorts sewn in, but do we really want to teach our little girls to dress like this? What will we expect later when they try to dress skimpier than when they were little girls? So we marched on over to the boys department and bought her some denim and khaki shorts. Same price, same size, but much more length. Then we went back to the girls department and picked out some nice girly shirts. I'm thinking about trying this trick for myself if I can find some nice drawstring shorts in the men's department.

And swimsuits! Ugh! It's VERY difficult to shop for swimsuits regardless, but when you have skinny girls who don't want bikinis and don't want headcoverings and swimpants, you're out of luck. There's this attitude that if you are skinny you want to show off your body. Well, that isn't necessarily true. Covering up isn't self conciousness, it's modesty and it's a good thing. But if you search for modest swimwear you find head to toe swimwear and that's not what we want either.

We're considering two options right now. Sewing our own, or buying the most modest tankini tops we can find and then getting boy's swim trunks to match. Why not? Why is it that boys get to just romp and play without thinking about their clothes, while girls have to yank and tug to try to keep their body covered? They make a lot of floral patterns on swim trunks anyway!

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I've been reading your blog off and on for a while now, I stumbled on it when I was looking for organics in our area. I too have looked at those "modest" clothing web sites and they are not only head to toe but they are pricey.

What about a speedo one piece, like for competitive swimming. My daughter's is pretty flattering--its black and it stays put if you know what I mean.

Board shorts would be good too, the tankini is a good idea or even a surf shirt. All my kids have one, including my daughters. It makes a good coverup especially if you are going to be out in the water for a while and are prone to burning

Closer to 40 everyday !!! said...

try www.landsend.com
They have swim shorts for girls. They have many modest options. My topless two year old has grown into a very modest little girl. So we share your modest search.

Cara said...

I bought a serger just for these reasons! I have the hardest time finding clothes I want for my daughter. I was able to find a bunch of capris for her at Hersbergers (not sure if that's just local or not, and have no idea if I spelled it right ;) ) last year. For swimming she still wears a swim diaper (cloth) and I found a 3/4 legnth sleeve UV protective top at Costco. I think I'm going to try and make both her and I little swim skirts this year, we'll see.