Tuesday, May 05, 2009

20 Pie Crusts for the Freezer

I can't find this on the net, but it was there once. I've found some recipes that are very close though. Mine uses my Bosch which is way easier than the recipe using the exact same ingredients, but you cut the flour into the shortening by hand. That's fine for a crust or two, but 20? Yikes!

20 Pie Crusts in the Bosch

3 lbs Crisco (I've been using the butter flavor)
5 lbs all purpose flour
2 T salt
3 cups ice water (I fill a 4 cup measuring cup with ice, add water, then when I'm ready for it I scoop out the ice and adjust to get 3 cups)

Put the Crisco in the Bosch and mix on speed 1. Add the salt, then slowly begin adding the flour (too fast and you'll have a mess!). Pour in water as needed to keep it mixing well and alternate water and flour.

When all is mixed, begin dividing it into balls. If you have a scale, you want each ball to be between 7 and 8 ounces. Flatten slightly like a hamburger patty and place on waxed paper on a cookie sheet. Put in freezer. When they are frozen, like several hours later or the next day, move them to a couple of gallon ziploc bags.

When you are ready to use them, take out what you need and allow about 20-30 minutes to thaw. Roll out as usual and enjoy!

Not the healthiest ingredients, but at least there are no dyes!

3 comments:

John said...

It's very unique blog.
Fantastic presentation and greate pictures.

I like your blog.

I would like to invite to join a green community, so we can reduce global warming. Please participate. Find the information here:

http://globalgreenview.blogspot.com

Please share this information to your friends and family.

Thanks for your participation.
Keep blogging.
Good day.

Rachel said...

Can you tell me what a Bosch is? Is it like a kitchen aid mixer? Or a large food processor?

Melissa Nelson said...

Yes, a Bosch is a mixer. I can make up to 6 1-lb loaves of bread at a time in it. The mixer is pretty much full to capacity when I make the pie crusts. You would want to use a mixer that can handle at least 6 lbs of bread dough at a time. I'm sure Kitchen Aid has a comparable one, but I believe they aren't all the same size.

I think you could make this recipe in a food processor too, but I don't know if there is one big enough. You might have to scale it down some for that.

You know, you could probably do it with a hand mixer even if you had a big enough bowl. I'm sure some of my big plastic bowls would hold it all. It wouldn't be any harder on the mixer than making cookies.