Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Pie, Pie and More Pie

A couple of years ago I searched for and found a recipe to make pie crusts in bulk. Google can find anything. It's great. You can make 20 pie crusts with little more effort than one, put them in the freezer and pie becomes easier the next few times. I was going to post a link, but can't find one now. I'll post it soon.

So for Claire's birthday last week she wanted Chicken Pot Pie for dinner and Peanut Butter Pie for dessert. I figured it was time to make a new supply of pie crusts. It takes 2 to feed our family which still left me 16 crusts for the freezer (2 crusts for each pie--top and bottom. The peanut butter pie uses a graham cracker crust.).




This turned out better than any I've ever made before. I think it was the coconut oil with that very subtle coconut flavor. I used to use cream of chicken soup, but no more. I am putting my recipe here in case I can't remember next time. This makes 2 pies.

Chicken Pot Pie Filling (all measurements are approximate)

8 T coconut oil (butter is what I used to use)
8 T flour (theoretically--I needed quite a bit more to form the paste)
2 c milk
2 c water
4 tsp chicken base or bouillon
3 cans mixed veggies, drained
2 chicken breasts, cut up

Melt oil in a 2 or 3 qt pot. Mix in flour until you have a paste. Over medium heat, stir in milk, water, and chicken base. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Mix in veggies and chicken. Pour into two pie crusts, cover and cut slits. Bake at 350 for about an hour.

Well, after I made this, I still had 2 chicken breasts left. I'm sure I could have found something else to do with it, but we love chicken pot pie. So I made more only 5 days later. No one complained! Perhaps it was the power of positive thinking?


And then tonight, yet another pie for dinner: Quiche! The exciting thing about this is that we got the eggs from our farm and the broccoli from our garden! Apparently rolie polies don't like broccoli. It was delicious!

2 comments:

JenT said...

That looks so good.

Gail Heaton said...

I love that you write on your pie crusts!