Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dye Free Shamrock Shakes

I love mint and I love ice cream.  I used to be a huge fan of McDonald's Shamrock shakes.  But they have dyes so I've never been able to let my children experience that wonderful taste.  Yesterday I came across this link to a recipe for Shamrock Shakes and had to make them--with some substituting. 

Here's what I did.

Shamrock Shakes

small handful (12-15 maybe?) baby spinach leaves (for color--you don't taste it at all)
2 cups milk
4 cups vanilla ice cream
1/2 tsp mint extract

In my 6 cup capacity blender, I placed about a handful of frozen spinach leaves.  Fresh would work too, but we've found if we take fresh leaves and store them in the freezer, they blend nicely and you notice it less in your smoothies.  Worked for our shakes, too.  I then added a little bit of the 2 cups of milk I'd measured out.  I let the blender run until it was just a green liquid and no little bits of spinach were left.  It took a couple minutes on the highest speed.  It kinda looked like there were chunks of butter on top, but I'd bet most milk wouldn't work that way.  I used whole raw milk so it had lots of cream.

Next I added 1/2 teaspoon mint extract (although I only had 1/4 tsp left for the second batch and it was just as good) and filled it to the 6 cup line with vanilla ice cream.  I blended it until it was creamy (Sam made sure because he'd read the recipe and knew it was supposed to be creamy.)

I was going to take a picture.  It came out a nice minty green color.  But no one wanted to wait to drink theirs.  It was gone before cameras could be found. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh, man! I wish I'd read this article sooner! I'm behind and getting caught up. Maybe we'll make them late... except that I'm off sugar until I lose 5 lbs. Sigh.