Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Little Bits of Movement

Yesterday morning I woke early--before the sun, before most of the kids--and wanted to just go back to sleep. Then I felt it.  A little bump against my belly.  I placed my hand over my lower abdomen and there it was again.  I could even feel it with my hand.  Now I KNOW this isn't just gas. :)  The little one kicking around in there kept me up and smiling for at least 15 minutes.  I am in my 17th week of pregnancy.  I've been feeling these little bits of movement for about a month now, but never really sure if it's baby or what.  Now I know for sure and it's exciting!

It's kind of funny when you think about it.  From everything I've read that little one is anywhere from 4-6 inches long.  It swims and moves around all the time.  Yet I rarely feel it.  How weird is that?  Imagine you had a 4-6 inch long gas bubble moving around in your stomach.  Think there's any chance you would NOT feel that? 

The Bible calls the womb the "secret place."  That seems so accurate.  This little one has been there hiding.  We knew it, but only now can I feel it.

And though this is the 12th time I've been in my 17th week of pregnancy, it is no less exciting, wonderful, or new to feel the movements for sure for the first time.  I am still amazed that there is such a tiny little person growing inside of me.  And I continue to be more and more amazed that God would choose to bless me with this life.  I think the more times I experience it, the more in awe I am of the whole thing.

4 comments:

Practically Perfect said...

Congratulations again! If it's actually the first time I congratulated you, I did at least think congratulations when you announced your pregnancy.

Just really wanted to say that I love your updates and am glad to see you blogging more.

Said by me who rarely updates!

AnnG said...

What a wonderful feeling to feel that growing babe!!

susie said...

I love that feeling of a new babe in the womb. I always wonder if it will be the last time that a babe jumps in my womb and I feel it. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who loves this feeling more with each pregnancy.

sarahdodson said...

I'm just now about 17 weeks and haven't felt movement yet. I'm waiting though! We're due around the same time. How fun!