Saturday, May 28, 2011

How Can You Afford All Those Kids? part 1--Who helps us

The real question here is often, "Are you getting government assistance?"  And while the answer could really be, "It's none of your business." I'll be honest and say, "NO."

There was a time, just prior to beginning this blog in 2005, that we were in the top bracket for income tax.  We certainly paid our fair share.  At that time I didn't think it fair that the more money you made the higher percentage you paid.  I still feel that way.  And between then and now when we would have qualified for gov't assistance, but chose not to even apply, I still didn't think it was right that there are different brackets like that.  The Bible says, "if anyone does not work, neither should he be fed." I believe that is a good principle.  I also think it is good and useful for those who cannot find work or find honest disabilities prevent them from working that they get help when they need it.  But none of my opinions matter.  It is what it is.  I vote and that is the best I can do on these matters.  But what I really want to say here is that when we paid a ton of money in taxes, it was none of my business which individuals were receiving assistance.  So why anyone would think it their business to know who receives assistance is beyond my understanding.  Put yourself in their place.  If you were desperate and had to apply for assistance, would you want that to be public knowledge?

Anyway, enough of that.  Government help is not how we afford these kids.  Common sense in our spending and God's grace allow it.

There have been times where we truly wondered how in the world we could afford to keep going.  I once needed money for something and prayed, "God, you're going to have to drop money from the sky to meet this need."  Within a few days I was reminded that our credit card was a rewards card and we earned air miles.  Those air miles could be turned in for cash.  It was just the right amount to cover our need!  God is good.  I gave Him the credit for allowing me to learn of this application of our miles in perfect timing.

Other times we can't figure out how it worked out, but it did.  The money just seems to be there.  But we are faithful and tithe at least 10% from our income.  We figure 100% of it really is God's money.  And He lets us do what we want with 90% of that.  It's really a small amount when you think of it that way.  It's hard to get started, but He is faithful to supply ALL our needs when we are faithful to Him.

So to sum up part 1 of this answer, no, we don't get help from the government, but yes, we do get help from God.

No comments: