Friday, November 18, 2011

Knowing How To Cook

I learned this week that when you think you know how to cook, it really is just a matter of knowing how to use the tools available to you. 

We used to use the microwave a lot. Then we quit because we heard it isn't very good for your food. I understand that's considered controversial, but I'm not going to argue that because it's really not what I'm writing about right now. The point is, I had to re-learn how to cook.  I had to stop putting frozen veggies into a plastic container and pushing buttons and start putting those same veggies into a pot and steam or boil them. No big deal, but at first I felt rather silly for having to stop and think about what to do with them.

We do a lot of cooking "from scratch."  I tend to be a bit prideful about that. So this week I got knocked down a peg or two. One of my children had a friend over who can't eat wheat. So she brought her own dinner.  All I had to do was microwave it. Uh huh. Sounded easy enough.

It turns out in the 5 years or so since I stopped using a microwave they started printing the instructions really, really small. (No, it has nothing to do with me getting older and my eyes not seeing that small print.) I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do. I finally managed to squint just right to see it says to slit the overwrap. Whoops. I guess that's the plastic package we tried to remove completely.  Then microwave on medium for so many minutes and then high for so many more minutes. I have absolutely no idea how to change the power setting! We only have a microwave because it was built in when we moved in.  I hope the food came out edible because we just microwaved it on high the whole time. (At least I think that's the default setting.)

So, yes, I know how to cook on a stove or bake in an oven. But microwaves are a whole 'nother story!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings,
If you're interested in homeschooling, courtship, quiverfull issues, child-raising, politics, and spiritual inspiration, try a free, no obligation issue of SALT Magazine. If you haven't tried SALT yet, all we need is a name and mailing address to send you a free issue. Or, you can check out our website (saltmagazine.com) and sign up for a free issue online.
- In the Vine, Jim & Cindy